Legal Status of the AJ&K Election CommissionThe Administrative Head of the AJ&K Election Commission i.e. (The Chief Election Commissioner) derives his legal/constitutional status from the Article 50 of the “Azad Jammu & Kashmir Interim Constitution Act 1974” which provides for the appointment of the Chief Election Commissioner for the State. Whereas, he, for the administrative purpose, is assisted by the Secretary Election Commission, a BPS-20 Officer. The AJ&K Election Commission operate as a “Special Institution” under Schedule-1 of the Rules of Business of the Azad Govt. of the State of Jammu and Kashmir and has a Secretariat approved vide Govt. Notification No: H-13(230) dated 31.01.1991.
- Continuous preparation and updating of Electoral Rolls under the provisions of Azad Jammu & Kashmir Electoral Rolls Ordinance, 1970 and Electoral Rolls Rules 1970.
- Conduct of general and bye elections to the AJ&K Legislative Assembly according to the provisions of AJ&K Interim Constitution Act 1974 and Azad Jammu & Kashmir Legislative Assembly (Elections) Ordinance, 1970 and Rules, 1970.
- Conduct of election against reserved seats in the Azad Jammu & Kashmir Legislative Assembly according to the provisions of The Azad Jammu & Kashmir (Reserved Seats) Election Procedure, 1986.
- Conduct of election to the AJK Council according to the provisions of Azad Jammu &Kashmir Council (Election) Act, 1976.
- Conduct of election for the Office of the President of Azad Jammu Kashmir according to the provisions of The Azad Jammu & Kashmir President (Election Rules), 1985